This article describes how to use the Ping feature, including what a Ping is and how to send a Ping.
Note: both Content Editors and Community Managers can send a Ping. Learn more about community admins.
What is a Ping?
Ping is a real-time feedback tool for leaders that allows groups of learners to collectively answer questions, make decisions, and resolve issues by working together in a shared, feedback-rich environment. By allowing leaders to collaboratively explore a decision and converge on preferred solutions in a matter of seconds, Ping boosts their ability to make well-informed choices that increase their odds of successful execution.
Leaders use Ping to prompt their teams to make a prediction, answer a question, or to get immediate feedback on an idea. When you create a Ping, your learners are immediately notified via email to provide a quick response.
As the learners select their answers, they’ll be drawn into the platform and given the opportunity to provide the reasoning behind their choice in an ongoing discussion. Sometimes, these conversations move learners to change their original position – Ping allows them to update their vote during the one to three day window.
Using Ping gives learners more opportunities to buy into the process and offers leaders valuable real-time information and offers learning leaders an opportunity to quickly assess learners’ ongoing attitudes and beliefs.
How to create a Ping
2. Under Ping, click Create New Ping.
3. You are now on the Create Ping page. First, enter the question you would like to ask the members of the community. Tip: Remember, this is a multiple choice question so be sure to word the question accordingly.
4. Next, enter the possible answers for learners to choose from. You can add additional answer options, up to nine total, as well.
5. Next, enter the duration that the Ping will remain open - 1 day, 2 days, or 3 days from the time it is sent. After the Ping ends, learners will be unable to respond to the question.
6. If you would like to post on behalf of a Featured User, such as an Executive Sponsor or Sponsor, you can designate who to post on behalf of at the bottom of the page. Most often, Pings are sent on behalf of Sponsors and Executive Sponsors to motivate learners to reply.
7. Click Preview at the bottom of the page.
8. Next, you will see a preview of the Ping. To go back and edit the Ping, click Edit. To publish and send the Ping, click Publish and Send.
9. Once you click Publish and Send, all members of the community will immediately receive an email prompting them to respond to the Ping.