This article discusses how to add admins to a Community of Practice, including the permissions granted to each admin role.
What is a community Featured User?
Featured Users are users in the platform that are selected to appear in the right sidebar of a community page. By featuring users, learners can see who from a leadership position is leading and/or paying attention to the community. This helps motivate the learner during their course(s) and provides an understanding of who is involved in the learning community.
There is one container of Featured Users by default, titled Leader. You can rename this container and add additional featured user categories as well.
Featured Users in a Community of Practice should not be confused with Featured Users in a course.
How to add a community Featured User
1. Click on the admin tools icon on the top right of any page.
2. On the next screen, click Communities on the left panel.
3. Locate and click on the community you would like to update. Do not click on the View button, and instead click on the name of the community itself. Tip: for faster navigating, use the status filter and/or sort any columns in the page.
4. On the left panel, click Featured Users to go to the community Featured Users page.
5. Type the desired Featured User’s name or email address into the Add User section under the respective container and click on their name when displayed. Because they already have an account, as you begin typing the desired Featured User should display. Note: It is common to have more than one user included in each container.
How to rename a Featured User group
You may rename a Featured User group by clicking on the pencil icon next to the name you wish to change and then entering a new name. For instance, you could change the label of Instructor to something else representing a person or group of people you’d like displayed on the course page.
How to change the appearance a Featured User group
You may also change the size of a Featured User group’s appearance on the community page. Click on the dropdown in the Style options to change the size. All groups are set to large by default.
How to add a new a Featured User group
To add a new Featured User group, navigate to the Add Featured User Group section at the bottom of the page, add the name of the new group, and click Add.
How to change the order of Featured User groups
You may prefer to have certain groups listed above or below others on the course page. If so, you can change the order in which they appear.
To change the order of the groups:
1. Click on the colored panel on the left of the group you wish to move
2. Drag the container to its new placement
3. Drop it. You will see an arrow next to the colored panel pointing to the new location before you drop the container into place.
Permissions granted in the Featured Users page
When people are added to a container in the Featured Users tab, they are not granted additional permissions. If you’d like to give any Featured Users admin permissions, it is necessary to give them the desired permissions in the community Admin page.