This article explains the reports admins can generate and download to review learner activity and progress.
Data export reports that are available for download
Under Manage --> Insights and Reporting --> Data Export Reports, there are four reports available for admins to download.
- User activity report: Get information at the user level (e.g. how many courses has each user enrolled in, learning time per user, etc). View your top learners across your company or by specific group.
- User course activity report: Get information at the enrollment level. Understand the courses individuals and groups are learning and sort by active users, minute per active user, and enrollments.
- User progress report: Get information at the lecture level. This is our most granular report and you'll see quiz results for example. This report will include any lectures or quizzes that were either started or completed within the time range selected (or across all time if none is selected).
- User skills activity report: Get information at the user level, which provides detailed skills activity per user, including minutes consumed for specific topics and what categories they are learning.
These reports and others are available for download via other Insights and Reporting dashboards.
How to generate and download data export reports
To download your data export report choose the users, groups or sections you wish to include and the timeframe and click Export. The data will be up to date as per the data freshness notice at the top of the page.
Note: To ensure that downloads are successful, we cap the number of records exported at 10 million records. Please choose a suitable filter to avoid reports getting capped. You will be presented with a notification if there is a likelihood of your report getting capped.
Once your report is ready, you will receive an email notifying you of this. The report will also be listed under the Recent Reports section of the page.
Deleting a report
If you wish to delete a report you have previously exported, you can do so by following these steps:
- Scroll down the Data Export Reports page to Recent Reports
- Click on the trashcan icon beside the report you wish to delete
- Confirm you wish to delete the report
Admins and group admins can download three data export reports to view deeper insights into learning paths activity.
Path activity report: provides detailed path activity for all public paths. Some of the fields in the report include Path ID, Path Title, Path total steps, No. of Users Enrolled and Total Consumption in Minutes among others. Available on the Path Insights overview page.
Path user activity report: provides details on enrollments and activity per user for the path listed. There will be one entry per user enrolled in the path, tracking their overall path consumption.
Some of the fields in the report include User First Name, User ID, User Groups, Path Assigned Due Date and Path Date Completed among others. Available on the Path Insights page for a specific path.
Path item activity report: provides deeper insights into item activity per user for the path listed. There will be one entry per completed item per user, detailing the individual item consumption.
Some of the fields in the report include Item section title, Path item ID, Path item object type, Path item object ID and Path item duration among others. Available on the Path Insights page for a specific path.
Path insights reports can be filtered by users, groups, or sections.
To download the path activity report, navigate to Insights and reporting > Path Insights > Export.
To download the path user activity and path item activity reports, click on a specific path > Export.
Who can access and download the reports?
Only admins and group admins have access to the Path Insights page and the ability to download these reports. If a path is private, admins and group admins must be the editor or enrolled in the path to be able to view Path Insights for the path and download these reports.
Additionally, the Path User Activity Report and Path Item Activity Report are available on the Path Insights page for a specific path. For private paths, as long as the admin or group admin is enrolled in, or is the editor of that particular path, they will be able to download these reports.
Which learners’ data is included?
Important: path reports only contain data for learners that are currently enrolled in respective learning paths. If a learner unenrolls from a learning path, any previous data from their progress will no longer be included in the reports. Once a learner re-enrolls in the path, their data will be restored to the reports after the next data refresh.
Microsoft Excel has local settings that can cause formatting errors when viewing Data Export Reports from your Udemy Business account in the program. This article includes troubleshooting resources you can use to resolve some of these formatting issues.
Import data through Excel
The Udemy Business data exports support multiple delimiters (comma, tab, semi-colon etc.), in an attempt to resolve any issues you may encounter when viewing data exports in Microsoft Excel.
If you still find that your Data Export Reports are misformatted when viewed in Excel (i.e. all entries are in one row with no columns, separated by commas), please follow the steps outlined in this Microsoft article. It includes instructions on how you can import data through Excel, so that the report appears correctly.
Additionally, Excel may have autofit settings enabled that can cause data cells to appear ‘squished’. If you need to adjust the column width or row height of the Excel file, please review this Microsoft article.
If you have questions regarding the steps outlined in the articles above, or continue to have formatting issues after attempting the steps, we recommend contacting Microsoft Support.
Once you've followed these steps, please try to download and open the reports again. You should be able to see them as expected.
If you have any additional questions or continue to encounter issues, you can also contact us here.
This article outlines how admins should format CSV files that can be used to add or manage users into your Udemy Business account, via our import feature.
- Learn which functionality is supported through the CSV import feature.
- Learn how to add and manage users via CSV import.
- The CSV import feature is not available to group admins.
- Currently, the CSV template is only available in English.
- The CSV import feature supports multiple delimiters (comma, tab, semi-colon etc.)
Table of contents
- How to encode a CSV in UTF-8 format
- Possible formatting issues caused by region & language settings in Microsoft Excel
- Formatting your CSV file
- Group formatting - Enterprise Plan only
How to encode a CSV in UTF-8 format
CSV files must be encoded in UTF-8 format in order for the import to work.
In Microsoft Excel (PC):
- Select “Save as”> “Browse”.
- The “Save as” window should now appear. Save as type as “CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)”.
- Under the Tools drop-down box, click “Web Options”. A new window for web options will appear.
- Under the “Encoding” tab, select “UTF-8".
- Click “OK” and save the file.
Please note: Excel for Mac does not natively support the import or export of UTF-8 encoded files. As a result, we recommend Mac users open a spreadsheet in Google Sheets and follow the steps below to encode the CSV file in UTF-8 format.
In Google sheets:
- Click “File”> “Download”.
- Select “Comma-separated-values (csv.)”.
- The sheet will be downloaded in UTF-8 format.
Possible formatting issues caused by region & language settings in Microsoft Excel
Depending on the regional or language settings you’re using in Microsoft Excel, you may need to make some additional formatting changes. More information is available in Microsoft's Support Center.
The Udemy Business CSV import feature supports multiple delimiters (comma, tab, semi-colon etc.). Therefore, you will not be required to change your region settings if using Microsoft Excel prior to importing your CSV file.
Please note: the two most commonly seen issues related to this are:
- Encoding files with Japanese/Chinese/Korean characters. MS Excel does not encode these files as UTF-8 correctly.
Another way to ensure your CSV file can upload correctly, when encountering these issues, is to save your file in Google Sheets or Notepad and download it as a CSV.
- Google will automatically correctly encode the file as UTF-8 when downloaded.
- On Notepad, be sure to save the file under the type “Unicode (UTF-8).
Formatting your CSV file
CSVs can define the email, role, and group(s) for users. There are some standard formatting requirements you need to adhere to for your CSV file to upload successfully.
- The header row of the CSV must contain: email, role, groups and group admin for.
- The valid roles that you can assign a user to are “user” or "admin". Enterprise plan users can also assign the "group admin" role (see below).
- Any blanks within the role column will be automatically set to “user” if the user is new. If you leave the role column blank for existing users, their role will remain the same, i.e. if the user is an admin, they will still be an admin.
- The "groups" and "group admin for" columns can be left blank.
- The column titles and roles (e.g. group admin, admin) in the role column must be entered in English. The values (terms) in other cells, however, can be localized. Please note that group names can be localized provided they match the group names that have been created in your organization’s account.
Group formatting - Enterprise Plan only
- Group names you assign users to must match existing group names you have already setup in your Udemy Business account through the User Management feature.
- Group names you assign users to must already exist within your Udemy Business account.
- The "groups" and "group admin for" columns can be left blank if applicable.
- Do not add the owner of the account in the CSV file, as you will receive an error message stating that you cannot change the role of the owner. Please contact Support if you would like to change the owner of your account.
- If you add an email which is in Pending Invitations, that user will not be included in the number of new users added when you receive a successful upload message, because they had been previously invited.
- Group names, license type and email addresses are not case sensitive nor space sensitive.
- You can include multiple group names for each user by separating group names with a semicolon “;” character. Please be sure, however, there are no spaces between the groups and the semicolon that separates them (i.e. Marketing;Sales;New Hires).
- You can assign Udemy Business Pro licenses by indicating that this is a pro user, by adding “Pro” in the license type column. Where this column is left blank, Udemy Business Pro licenses will not be assigned. This column is optional.
group admin for