This article provides an overview of Cornerstone OnDemand (CSOD) and outlines the native integration process for the learning management system (LMS) and learning experience platform (LXP). It also explains the many benefits of integrating CSOD with your Udemy Business web application.
Table of Contents
- Testing the integration
- Questions or support
To extend the value of the Udemy Business collection, we are partnering with Cornerstone OnDemand (CSOD). The learning management system (LMS) and learning experience platform (LXP) native integration for CSOD enable Learners to search and discover Udemy Business content directly from CSOD. The integration also enables Admins to easily view reporting data from their CSOD LMS on their progress and completion activity.
Udemy Business Course deep-links and Single Sign-On (via SAML 2.0) provide a seamless launch of Udemy Business courses directly from Cornerstone. Course progress is automatically synchronized in real time between Udemy Business and the learners' Cornerstone transcript (supported when a Udemy Business course is launched from Cornerstone for active learning objects in Cornerstone).
Please note: LMS/LXP integration is only available with the Enterprise Plan.
- Allow learners to search and discover Udemy Business content directly from Cornerstone.
- Automatically synchronize learner progress and completions with their Cornerstone transcript.
- Enable admins to easily enable the integration between their Udemy Business environment and Cornerstone LMS:
- Catalog Synchronization.
- Learner Reporting (Course Progress and Completions) Synchronization.
- Single Sign-On via CSOD-embedded SSO or a dedicated Identity and Access Management System (e.g., Azure, Okta, AD FS).
- Please note: SSO via CSOD is optional and functions independently of the catalog and reporting synchronizations.
Learner Progress & Completions
Yes: daily, via APIs
Yes; real-time via APIs for user progress.
Yes; SAML 2.0 Single Sign-On (SSO) with Cornerstone OnDemand as Identity Provider (IdP); alternatively, SSO via Identity & Access Management System (e.g., Okta, Azure, OneLogin, AD FS).
Integration setup process
The integration between the Udemy Business Web application and Cornerstone OnDemand environment requires both systems to be configured. For your Cornerstone OnDemand environment, you will need to enable the integration via the Cornerstone Content Delivery System (CDS). The overall process is as follows:
- Step 1: Enable Cornerstone Content Delivery APIs. The following Cornerstone API parameters are required before configuring the integration in Udemy Business:
- Environment Base URL
- Environment API Client ID
- Environment API Client Secret
- Step 2: Enable Udemy LMS/LXP Integration. Enable the LMS/LXP Integration for Cornerstone OnDemand from your Udemy Business admin portal. You will need the obtained CSOD API parameters from Step 1. Once Udemy Business is configured, you will need to share the Udemy Business Client Integration Identifier (CIID) Token with CSOD. The CIID will enable Cornerstone to pull the Udemy Business catalog for search and discovery as Online Learning Objects.
- Step 3: Configure SSO. Contact your Cornerstone Global Integration Services team to enable Embedded SSO on your CSOD environment. Once SSO is enabled on your CSOD environment, proceed to enable SSO on your Udemy Business environment.
Enable Cornerstone content delivery APIs
To list Udemy Business’ Course Catalog as online learning objects in your Cornerstone Learning Management system, you will first need to provision the Content Delivery API keys in Cornerstone. Coordinate with your Cornerstone customer support team to enable the Catalog and the Progress synchronization APIs. Once the Cornerstone Content Delivery APIs are enabled, follow the Cornerstone process for retrieving the environment-specific (e.g., Stage, Pilot, Production) base URL, API Client ID, and Client Secret.
These values are required in order to generate the corresponding Udemy Business Client Integration Identifier (CIID) for the Course catalog synchronization and enable user progress synchronization between Udemy Business and Cornerstone.
Images: Cornerstone Integration Center Configuration for Udemy Business.
Enable Udemy LMS/LXP integration
This section outlines how to enable the Udemy Business Integration with Cornerstone OnDemand.
You will first need to enable the Cornerstone Content Delivery APIs and obtain the base URL, API Client ID, and Client Secret for your Cornerstone environment (i.e., Stage, Pilot and/or Production). Then, proceed to configure your Udemy Business environment for Catalog and User Process Synchronization as outlined below.
- Enable the Content Delivery APIs in your Cornerstone environment. Contact your Cornerstone Customer Success Manager for assistance.
- Obtain the CSOD environment API parameters: (a) base URL; (b) API Client ID; and (c) Client Secret.
Enabling Catalog and User Progress synchronization
1. Log in as an Admin to your Udemy Business Web App.
2. Navigate to Manage | Settings (top right menu).
3. From the Left panel, select LMS/LXP Integrations.
4. From the Start set-up button, select Cornerstone OnDemand.
5. Enter the Base URL Endpoint, Client ID, and Client Secret you received from Cornerstone.
6. Click Test Credentials to ensure that credentials are validated.
7. Click Save. If successfully enabled, Udemy Business will display a confirmation, followed by the Udemy Business Cornerstone OnDemand Integration status screen. The User Progress Synchronization between Udemy Business and Cornerstone is now enabled.
8. From the Udemy Business Cornerstone OnDemand LMS/LXP integrations screen, Copy the Cornerstone CIID. Share the CIID token with your Cornerstone Integration team to enable the Catalog synchronization on your Cornerstone environment.
Allow 24 hours for the Udemy Business Course Catalog list to appear in your Cornerstone environment. Once the Udemy Business Catalog is listed in your Cornerstone environment, you can search, discover the Udemy Business catalog and launch the course experience in your dedicated Udemy Business environment.
Enable single sign-on (optional)
Please note: This is an optional step, and you do not need to enable SSO with Cornerstone OnDemand for the Udemy Business integration to work.
To enable SSO with Cornerstone OnDemand, please review our instructions on how to configure a custom SSO connection.
Testing the integration
Once you’ve configured your Udemy Business and Cornerstone APIs and optionally SSO you will want to test the integration between Udemy Business and the LMS. (Learn how)
Questions or support
If you encounter any issues or need help with Udemy Business SSO or LMS/LXP Configuration, please contact our support team. For issues related to Cornerstone, please contact the designed Cornerstone support team.