To extend the value of the Udemy Business collection, we are partnering with the Cornerstone OnDemand Learning Management System (CSOD). We offer native support to integrate with CSOD to bring ease in discoverability and learning management.
The learning management system (LMS) and learning experience platform (LXP) native integration for CSOD enables Learners to search and discover Udemy Business content directly from their Cornerstone Learning Management System. The integration also enables Admins to easily view reporting data from their CSOD LMS on Udemy progress and completion activity.
Udemy Business Course deep-links and Single Sign-On (via SAML 2.0) provide a seamless launch of Udemy courses directly from Cornerstone. Course progress is automatically synchronized in real time between Udemy and the learners Cornerstone transcript (supported when a Udemy Business course is launched from Cornerstone for active learning objects in Cornerstone).
Note: LMS/LXP integration is only available with the Enterprise Plan.
Table of Contents
- Enable Cornerstone Content Delivery APIs
- Enable Udemy LMS/LXP Integration
- Enable Udemy Single Sign-On
- Allow learners to search and discover Udemy Business content directly from their Cornerstone LMS environment.
- Automatically synchronize learner progress and completions with their Cornerstone transcript.
- Enable admins to easily enable the integration between their Udemy environment and Cornerstone LMS:
- Catalog Synchronization.
- Learner Progress and Completions Synchronization.
- Single Sign-On via CSOD embedded SSO or via dedicated Identity and Access Management System (e.g., Azure, Okta, AD FS).
Learner Progress & Completions
Yes: daily, via APIs
Yes; real-time via APIs for user progress.
Yes; SAML 2.0 Single Sign-On (SSO) with Cornerstone On Demand as Identity Provider (IdP); alternatively, SSO via Identity & Access Management System (e.g., Okta, Azure, OneLogin, AD FS).
The integration between the Udemy Business Web application and Cornerstone OnDemand environment requires both systems to be configured. For your Cornerstone On Demand environment, you will need to enable the integration via the Cornerstone Content Delivery System (CDS). The overall process is as follows:
- Step 1: Enable Cornerstone Content Delivery APIs. The following Cornerstone API parameters are required before you can configure the integration in Udemy:
- Environment Base URL
- Environment API Client ID
- Environment API Client Secret
- Step 2: Enable Udemy LMS/LXP Integration. Enable the LMS/LXP Integration for Cornerstone OnDemand from your Udemy Business admin portal. You will need the obtained CSOD API parameters in Step 1. Once Udemy is configured, you will need to share the Udemy Client Integration Identifier (CIID) Token with CSOD.The CIID will enable Cornerstone to pull the Udemy catalog for search and discovery as Online Learning Objects.
- Step 3: Configure SSO. Contact your Cornerstone Global Integration Services team to enable Embedded SSO on your CSOD environment. Once SSO is enabled on your CSOD environment, proceed to enable SSO on your Udemy Business environment.
To list Udemy’s Course Catalog as online learning objects in your Cornerstone Learning Management system, you will first need to provision the Content Delivery API keys in Cornerstone. Coordinate with your Cornerstone customer support team to enable the Catalog and the Progress synchronization APIs. Once the Cornerstone Content Delivery APIs are enabled, follow the Cornerstone process for retrieving the environment-specific (e.g., Stage, Pilot, Production) base URL, API Client ID and Client Secret.
These values are required in order to generate the corresponding Udemy Client Integration Identifier (CIID) for the Course catalog synchronization and enable user progress synchronization between Udemy and Cornerstone.
Images: Cornerstone Integration Center Configuration for Udemy Business.
This section outlines how to enable the Udemy Business Integration with Cornerstone OnDemand.
You will first need to enable the Cornerstone Content Delivery APIs and obtain the base URL, API Client ID and Client Secret for your Cornerstone environment (i.e., Stage, Pilot and/or Production). Then, proceed to configure your Udemy Business environment for Catalog and User Process Synchronization as outlined below.
- Enable the Content Delivery APIs in your Cornerstone environment. Contact your Cornerstone Customer Success Manager for assistance.
- Obtain the CSOD environment API parameters: (a) base URL; (b) API Client ID; and (c) Client Secret.
Enabling Catalog and User Progress Synchronization
1. Log in as an Admin to your Udemy Business Web App.
2. Navigate to Manage | Settings (top right menu).
3. From the Left panel, select LMS/LXP Integrations.
4. From the Start set-up button, select Cornerstone On Demand.
5. Enter the Base URL Endpoint, Client ID and Client Secret you received from Cornerstone.
6. For User ID, enter UdemyProvider
7. For Scope, enter all.
8. Click Save set-up. Udemy will display a confirmation if the Cornerstone APIs were successfully enabled. The Udemy Cornerstone OnDemand Integration status screen will then display. The User Progress Synchronization between Udemy and Cornerstone is now enabled. Next, enable the Catalog Synchronization.
9. From the Udemy Cornerstone OnDemand Integration status screen, click Copy to clipboard next to the Cornerstone CIID. Share the CIID token with your Cornerstone Integration team to enable the Catalog the synchronization on your Cornerstone environment.
Allow 24 hours for the Udemy Business Course Catalog list to appear in your Cornerstone environment. Once the Udemy Business Catalog is listed in your Cornerstone environment, you can search, discover the Udemy Business catalog and launch the course experience in your dedicated Udemy environment.
This section outlines how to enable Single Sign-On for your Udemy Business environment (the Service Provider, or SP). Udemy supports SP-initiated SAML 2.0 via your corporate Identity Provider (IdP). You may choose to use Cornerstone embedded SSO as the IdP, or your dedicated Identity Provider System (e.g., Okta, Azure, AD FS, OneLogin). If Cornerstone is selected as your proxy IdP for Udemy, first configure SSO from your CSOD environment using the Udemy metadata below:
What you need before configuring Udemy SSO:
- The Cornerstone environment metadata file. This file contains the SSO configuration settings for your Cornerstone system; e.g., Entity ID, SSO Endpoint and Certificate.
- Administrator access to your Udemy Business Web application. Only Administrators can configure SSO in Udemy.
Enabling Single Sign-On for Your Udemy Environment
To enable SSO with your specific Identity Provider System (e.g., Okta, Azure, AD FS, OneLogin), please visit the support page here.
You can download the Udemy Business SSO metadata from the articles above, or from this link.
The general procedure for configuring SSO with an LMS (i.e., custom) can be viewed here.
Test the Integration
Once you’ve configured your Udemy and Cornerstone APIs and SSO you will want to test the integration between Udemy Business and the LMS. Steps on how to do this can be viewed here.
If you encounter any issues or need help with Udemy SSO or LMS/LXP Configuration, please contact our support team by clicking here. For Cornerstone related issues, please contact the designed Cornerstone support team.