With Udemy Business Web APIs (REST/GraphQL/xAPI), easily connect your admin tools, LMS platform, and HR suites with Udemy's catalog of courses (via metadata), and learner engagement data.
Empower workplace learning through:
- Automated user data syncing between Udemy Business and your employee directory (e.g., Okta, Azure)
- Embed search, discovery, and launch of Udemy Business courses and course lectures in your HR systems.
- Pull real-time course engagement analytics for your org straight from your apps
The Udemy Business Web APIs enable you to integrate world-class skills development from leading industry instructors into employees' daily flow of work. Upskill your workforce in top business, tech, and leadership competencies through Udemy's immersive video courses, curated learning paths, hands-on labs, assessments, and much more. Get started with a free trial of Udemy Business to experience the APIs firsthand.
To review the Udemy API License Agreement, please visit: https://www.udemy.com/terms/api/
- Note: depending on how your company signed up for its Udemy Business account, you may be subject to additional or different terms, as listed in the agreement your company has signed.
Please Note: Access to Udemy Business APIs in this workspace requires an Enterprise Udemy Business subscription. If you're an existing customer, please contact Udemy Business Support if you need help with the APIs in this workspace. If you're not yet a Udemy Business customer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to become a Technology Partner with Udemy, please submit a request to our Partnership team.
Overview of available APIs
The Udemy Business Postman API workspace contains two types of Udemy Business APIs:
- REST - Integrate the Udemy Business course catalog and learner engagement data into your systems
- GraphQL - Search Course and Lecture metadata, and implement updates
Udemy Business also offers an xAPI near real-time service. xAPI (or Experience API) is an e-learning data and specification interface standard to collect and share data about a learner’s experience, within the context of a wide range of learning activities. Udemy's xAPI service sends the following verbs corresponding to a learner’s progress and completion of a course:
- Progress event
- Completion event
These xAPI statements are POSTed to your xAPI-compatible system (e.g., LMS/LXP) in near real-time as the events occur in Udemy. Note that not all LMS or LxP systems support xAPI. Please check with those vendors for their support. For more information about Udemy Businesss xAPI, please visit our Help Center article. For setup, please review this Help Center resource. Key benefits of an xAPI-enabled integration can also be found in the preceding article.
Enabling your Udemy Business Client APIs:
Only Udemy Business admins can enable the REST or GraphQL APIs.
- As an admin, log in to your Udemy Business site.
- For the REST APIs, navigate to Manage/Settings/LMS/LXP Integrations (it's more than just LMS or LXP integrations, but these systems tend to be common integration points for Udemy)
- Enable the Integration; you can choose "Custom Integration" to set up a generic name.
- Use the Client ID and Client Secret in your API Client (or this Postman Collection - be sure to copy the Postman Collection to your Private Workspace)
- For the GraphQL APIs, navigate to https://ACCOUNT_NAME.udemy.com/dev-portal/api-clients/, where ACCOUNT_NAME is your unique subdomain and Udemy Business vanity URL.
- From the API Client page, activate your GraphQL API.
Top use cases
Whether you use an LMS, HCM platform, or custom admin portal, you can leverage Udemy Business APIs for various use cases. The following use cases are the most common:
Discover and launch courses
- Search and browse through thousands of Udemy Business courses from within your internal system (e.g., Learning Management System, or Learning Experience Platform)
- Enable single sign-on (SSO) to seamlessly access your Udemy Business site when launching Udemy Business Courses (or Course Lectures) from your internal system
- Track learner course assignments, progress, and completion in your internal system
Reporting and analytics
- Import comprehensive engagement data
- Analyze course enrollments, progress, and performance
- Map learning to skills for development initiatives
- Align with broader L&D strategy and goals
Skills gap analysis
- Match employee skills gaps to relevant Udemy Business courses, or course lectures
- Personalize suggested Courses, or Course Lectures, to address skills gaps
- Onboard more efficiently with targeted recommendations
Work alongside our solutions engineering team for a tailored integration experience. Contact Udemy Business to explore partnership opportunities.
Optimize Udemy Business API integration
Enable seamless learner access with SSO:
- Configure SAML 2.0 or SCIM for your Udemy Business Application with your Identify System, to enable frictionless user login and course access
- Automate account creation and updates
- Centralize access to your Udemy Business enterprise learning platform
GraphQL is preferred for course data:
- Incremental updates for optimal syncing vs. bulk loads
- Avoid repetitive calls with built-in caching
- Use semantic Search for optimal course and course lecture matching
Filter, sort, paginate:
- Utilize query parameters to retrieve only relevant data
- Control result sets for performance
Evaluate complexity to prevent over-fetching:
- Analyze API call volume and frequency
- Implement rate limiting to prevent abuse
- Load test to validate scalability
Following API best practices ensures performant, sustainable integrations between Udemy Business and your core HR or other third-party systems. The Udemy Business Sales & Solutions Engineers can advise on an integration strategy tailored to your use cases and infrastructure.