This article describes why an admin would want to create a new course version, as well as how to do so. Creating a new course version is different from creating a course.
When to create a new course version
One course may be configured differently for different audiences and/or may be updated periodically with updated content. To account for this variation within a course without affecting learners, the platform utilizes course versions.
Versions allow different audiences to see variations of the same course. For example, if a course is configured for a marketing team and then a supply chain team wants to take the course, you may wish to reconfigure a few aspects of the course for the new audience. Rather than rebuilding a new course from scratch, you can create a new course version within the same course without changing the content for the cohort that already took the course.
Another example: If you build a course this year and then next year you update the content, learners that took the course this year will be confused if they revisit the course. Should they have taken the new version of the course? Did they miss a memo about viewing the updated content?
How to create a new course version
1. Click on the admin tools icon on the top right of any page after logging in.
2. On the Courses page, click on the course title.
3. On the right side of the course version you wish to copy, click Copy. Note: Make sure you’re copying the version you’d like copied.
4. A screen will pop up asking if you are sure you want to create a duplicate course version. Click OK.
5. On the next page, enter a new version name and click Save at the bottom of the page. The default name is “Copy of [Course Version Name]”.