This article discusses the backpack feature and shows how to use the backpack widget to save notes, discussion posts, reflections, and activities.
- Learn more about course widgets.
What is the backpack?
The backpack is a feature in the platform that captures key pieces of the course experience that a learner may want to revisit at a later time. While a learner’s backpack automatically saves their discussion posts and reflections, learners can optionally save activities they’d like to view again, as well as any notes taken throughout the course.
The backpack can be found on the course header inside a course, on the top right of any course page. It is located to the right of the discussions widget icon. When clicked, learners can go to their saved notes, reflections, discussion posts, and course activities.
How to save activities to the backpack
In the footer of any course activity there is a Save for Later button that, when clicked, will add the activity to the backpack.
Note: Saved items in the backpack for a course are located in that course specifically and may also be accessed from the My Courses page.
How to view and download backpack items via My Courses
For ended or self-paced courses, all content and activities saved in the Backpack may also be found by navigating to ended courses via My Courses.
2. Under the column Backpack, click View to navigate to your backpack for a specific course. Click Download to download a transportable csv file with notes and reflections from a specific course.
- a)You will not see the View nor Download links in a row if the course is archived or trashed.
- b) The View link will be available for any course that has one or more items in that course backpack and will navigate you to the Notes page of the specific course backpack. If there are no backpack items, the View link will not be present.
- c) The Download link will be available for any course that has one or more notes or reflections and will download a transportable csv file of any of those items. If there are no notes or reflections for the course, the Download link will not be present. The exported fields include course name, activity name, activity start date, note, and reflection. Note: Activity start date is the due date for the activity for paced courses and the cohort start date for self-paced courses.
3. At the bottom of the table, click Download All to download a transportable csv file containing all notes and reflections from all appropriate courses. Note: The Download All link will not be present if there are no courses with one or more notes or reflections.