This article explains how admins can set up Power BI to access the Udemy Business API and consume applicable data for reporting purposes.
- Review best practices for the Udemy Business API.
- Learn more about the Udemy Business API reference.
Setting up Power BI to access the Udemy Business API
1. Log in at your organization’s domain with admin privileges. For example, your organization URL should look similar to the following example: https://yourdomain.udemy.com/organization/home/ .
2. Enable the API at the API integration page (for example: https://yourdomain.udemy.com/organization-manage/settings/api-integration/).
3. From the Start set-up button, select Other (example: https://yourdomain.udemy.com/organization-manage/settings/lms-integration/), type, for instance, Power BI and save. This process will generate a client and secret ID.
4. Return to API > Report API, and select a method as (example: https://yourdomain.udemy.com/developers/organization/reporting/methods/organizationuseractivity-list/get/).
5. Insert the client ID and client secret. This will generate the authorization token that you will use on Power BI.
6. Copy the authorization, open the file PowerBI_template and replace [insert-token] with authorization; Replace [insert-customer-domain] with yourdomain; Replace [insert-AccountID] with Organization_ID and save the file.
7. Open Power BI desktop.
8. Create a new DataSource Web, type in the home page for your organization (example: https://yourdomain.udemy.com/organization/home/), anonymous authentication.
9. Create a new DataSource Web, type https://yourdomain.udemy.com/organization/home/ , anonymous authentication.
10. Click on Advanced Editor, select all information that you saved on PowerBI_template, and copy.
- Note: If you get an error message “the column "Column1" was not found", this indicates that there is no data.