This article outlines how admins can add and manage users using the CSV import feature.
- Learn which functionality is supported through the CSV import feature.
- Learn how to format files for CSV imports.
Getting started with your CSV import
To navigate to the CSV Import, take the following steps:
- Log into your Udemy Business account.
- Select Manage Users from the Manage menu at the top of the screen.
- Click Invite Users at the top right and then Import Users From CSV. A window will pop-up that enables you to add a unique message and upload your CSV file (you can download an example CSV file via this link).
- Submit your CSV file. Learn how to format files for CSV imports.
- Optionally, you can also select the language you would like to issue your invitations in and add a custom message (please note this does not include localization of your custom message). Learn more about selecting a language for your invitations and adding a customized message.
- Upon the successful completion of your CSV upload you will see a summary message displaying the result in the modal dialog. If the CSV import file is 10KB or larger, you will receive an email summary of the result.
Note: Each CSV file you import can be accompanied by one message. You may edit this message on the same window that appears when you submit your CSV file. The file size limit is 1MB.
Adding users to groups (Enterprise Plan only)
By including group names in the “groups” column of your CSV, you can add users to existing groups you have configured within the User Management section of your Udemy Business account. This works for new users, for users you’ve invited but have not yet logged in, and existing users in your account.
The group names in your CSV must match the group names in your Udemy Business account exactly. You can add a user to multiple groups by including multiple group names in the “groups” column, separated by a semicolon “;” character.
It is not currently possible to remove users from groups, or to create new groups, using CSV import.
Assigning users Udemy Business Pro licenses (Udemy Business Pro only)
If you have Udemy Business Pro licenses for some, but not all, users in your account, you can assign Udemy Business Pro licenses by adding “Pro” in the “license type” column of your CSV. Where this column is left blank, Udemy Business Pro licenses will not be assigned, unless you have Udemy Business Pro licenses for all users on your account.
This column is optional. Currently, a Pro license can only be assigned to an active license-holder, unless in the case specified below.
Please note: if you have purchased Udemy Business Pro licenses for all users in your account, they will automatically be assigned a Pro license when you import users via CSV. You do not need to specify the license type in the CSV file.
It is not currently possible to remove Pro licenses from users using CSV import.
Changing user roles
By including either “user” or "admin" in the “role” column of your CSV, you can give or remove administrator access. This works for new users, for users you’ve invited but have not yet logged in, and existing users in your account.
Enterprise plan users can also assign a group admin role.
Inviting new users to your account
Importing a CSV containing new email addresses will invite each person in your CSV file to your Udemy Business account via email. This email message can be crafted in the same window you use to upload your CSV file. Note that only one message may be used per CSV file upload.
It is not currently possible to remove users or groups through the CSV Import. For more information, please see Inviting Users.
An email notification will automatically be sent to all new users included in the CSV file, who have not yet joined the account. Please note: an email notification will not be sent to any user that has already joined the account.
If you upload another CSV file at a later time or date containing the same list of users, any users who have yet to log into their Udemy Business account, will receive a further email invite (upon the successful completion of that CSV import).
Email notifications for Pro license assignments
For customers who have Udemy Business Pro for all the users in their organization’s account, an email notification will be automatically sent to all users, encouraging them to claim their Pro license. Once they log in, they will have access to Pro features and content.
Customers can upload the same CSV file at a later date or time to resend the email notifications. Upon successful completion of the CSV import, an email invitation will be resent to users who have yet to access their Pro license.