This article outlines how you can create a custom course for your Udemy Business account.
- Review who can create a custom course.
Watch “How to Create a Custom Course in Udemy Business”
Before you get started, we recommend watching the How to Create a Custom Course in Udemy Business course (English). You can also access the course by searching for the course using its English name in your Udemy Business account.
Please note: The course is only available in English, with auto-generated subtitles available in select languages. We hope to add additional languages soon.
The course will guide you through the recommended course creation process, and covers best practices for teaching and instructional design. The course also includes resources you can use to help plan, produce, and publish your custom course.
Step 1: Navigate to the Teach section
To begin the custom course creation process, click Teach at the top right-hand of the page and you will be prompted to enter your course title.
Step 2: Plan your custom course
Planning your custom course is the next step in your course creation journey and it’s very important to provide yourself with a solid foundation for building the rest of your course.
- Decide what you want to teach. You probably have an idea of what you want to teach, and now it's time to get really specific.
- Identify what you want your users to learn from your course. Determining this now will go a long way in helping you create a great course structure.
- Scope the content of your course to ensure that there is enough content for users to engage with and achieve their objectives. This is also where you think through how you want to organize your content. Be sure to conclude each section with either a quiz or a summary to sum up what users have learned.
- Break down your course into smaller, bite-sized lectures and describe what they each need to accomplish. This step is to help you get more detailed about your content, and break it down into individual sections and lectures. Write a lecture description for each lecture, summarizing what users will learn.
Step 3: Produce your custom course
This is the most important part of your course creation process.
- As you're creating your lectures, consider different types of users. Video lectures should alternate between the different lecture types and also between presentation styles such as “talking head”, slides, screencasts and drawing boards. Upload your promotional video so that users can preview your course.
- We strongly encourage you to include practice activities throughout the course to keep users engaged--at least one per section. These can take many different forms depending on the content, but may include quizzes, case studies or projects.
- Use the bulk uploader to upload your videos into your course. You can also use the uploader to upload any other resources you’re including (supplemental resources, PDF, audio, or presentation lectures). Once your videos are uploaded, go through your outline and associate the videos with the correct lecture.
Step 4: Polish your custom course
In this step, we’re talking about making your custom course ready for publishing.
- Craft a compelling course summary
- Take another look at your course title, and add in a subtitle.
- Create a course image that meets our guidelines.
Step 5: Publish your custom course
Admins: You are ready to publish your custom course!
If you’re not an admin, you will need to submit the custom course for review and an admin will need to approve it for publishing.