A custom course can have more than one instructor as co-instructors can be added and assigned various permissions, which enable them to access certain information and features related to the course.
Only the course creator, who is the primary instructor, however, can edit their own permissions. In addition, the primary instructor cannot be removed from a course by a co-instructor.
- Learn how to create a custom course.
- Leadership Academy: learn about the different admin roles on our cohort learning platform and the permissions granted to each admin.
Table of contents
- How to send a co-instructor invitation
- Pending invitations
- Managing instructor permissions for the custom course
- Removing a co-instructor
How to send a co-instructor invitation
To invite someone to join your custom course as a co-instructor, follow the steps below.
1. While accessing Udemy Business on a browser, navigate to the applicable course management page, and click the course settings gear icon at the top right.
2. Scroll down the page to the Manage instructor permissions section and click Add instructor on the right-hand side.
3. Enter the email address that is associated with the Udemy Business account of the person you wish to invite, and select the applicable permissions (see below for more information).
4. Finally, click Send invitation.
- The invitee will receive a notification via email, in which they can accept or decline the invitation to join the course as a co-instructor.
- If the person accepts the invitation to join the course as a co-instructor, the instructor, and any other co-instructors with manage permissions for the course, will be notified by email.
Instructors can view pending invitations they have sent by accessing them on the course management page. The pending status will also be reflected in the Manage instructor permissions section for the course.
If you need to revoke a pending invitation you have sent, click Revoke.
Managing instructor permissions for the custom course
Below is a list of the various permissions you can enable for co-instructors. As outlined above, the instructor permissions for a course can be accessed by navigating to the course settings page.
Visible: The instructor will be seen as an active instructor for the course. Their profile picture and name will appear wherever the course is visible in your Udemy Business account. Users will be able to send a message to the instructor if direct messaging is enabled.
Manage: A co-instructor with the Manage permission can modify course content and settings. They have full visibility and editing access to all course management functions, including the ability to upload and delete lectures, make changes to how the course displays in the marketplace, and create coupons for the course.
Performance: instructors with this permission enabled can access applicable data and information related to that course in their Performance tabs.
Q&A: This permission controls whether instructors can view and answer questions from learners in the instructor Q&A dashboard.
Assignments: Instructors who are enabled with the Assignments permission will receive notifications when students submit assignments, and will be able to provide feedback for them if they wish.
Reviews: Instructors with the Reviews permission will be able to view and respond to student course reviews in the Reviews section of the Instructor Dashboard
- Please note: in order for an instructor to respond to reviews, they must also be categorized as a visible instructor.
Removing a Co-instructor
Co-instructors can be removed from a course by clicking Remove under their respective name.
- If a course instructor has the Manage permission active, they will have the ability to remove co-instructors. The course creator, however, cannot be removed from a course.
- Any co-instructor can remove themselves from the course, regardless of whether they have the Manage permission enabled or not.
- When a co-instructor is removed from a course the instructor, and any other co-instructors with the manage course permission enabled, will be notified by email.